If you work in publishing, you are already familiar with the power of words. This workshop shows you how to harness that power to create copy that inspires, persuades and sells. Our tutor will provide you with a set of practical tools to complement your writing skills and further develop your expertise.
Whether you have to write catalogue entries, back-cover blurbs or taglines, direct marketing letters or website content, business reports or proposals, this course can make a difference.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- show that you have gained a solid grounding in copywriting
- understand some of the techniques used by top professionals
- apply these techniques to a range of copywriting tasks.
Who will benefit from this course?
Anyone working in publishing who has to convey key messages through the written word.
- Developing your copywriter’s mindset
- Identifying bad copy
- Five challenges copywriters face
- Three vital tests for your copy
- Lay a solid foundation
- Making the right connections
- Two ideas at the heart of all good copywriting
- Stop readers leaving
- Attention to detail
- Keep it simple
- Declutter your text
- Connecting with your readers
- Know your audience
- Come straight to the point
- Breathe life into your copy
- Focusing on what matters
- What to focus on
- Another useful tool for copywriters
- Boosting readability
- Without changing a word
- By changing a few words
- Finding the right words
- Some useful tools
- An alternative to your thesaurus
- A usage and originality checker
- Human nature and other connecting points
- Things to allow for in your copy
- Powerful connecting topics
- What makes a good tagline?
- Happy talk and other disconnects
- Things to eliminate
- Dealing with abstractions
- Three useful conversions
- Being creative
- Adapting what’s already out there
- Creativity techniques
- Overcoming writer’s block
- A few ‘rules’ you can break.
Note that most of our short courses can also be run as in-company events.
- Dates: 24 June 2013, 08 November 2013
- Duration: A one-day course
- Price: £385+VAT
- A number of discounts are available